Joshua Dimasaka is a registered Filipino civil engineer and a postgraduate researcher at the UKRI EPSRC Centre for Doctoral Training in the Application of Artificial Intelligence to the study of Environmental Risks (AI4ER), where he is pursuing fully-funded MRes+PhD degrees at the University of Cambridge to explore how AI can provide an improved understanding of the global resilience in response to intensifying effects of climate change and other natural hazards. He received his BS in Civil Engineering (2018) from the University of the Philippines and his MS in Civil & Environmental Engineering (2022) and MA in Public Policy (2022) from Stanford University. He also took up an Executive Education Certificate in Entrepreneurship and Innovation (2021) at Stanford Graduate School of Business.
He recently worked for Stanford LBRE as a risk consultant to Dr. Eng. Fouad Bendimerad and the local government of Quezon City (Philippines) as an EMI Urban Resilience Fellow to support data-driven policies to manage earthquake risks of over 400,000 buildings. At Stanford, he worked with US Geological Survey to use machine learning on NASA satellite imagery products to improve PAGER, a global real-time earthquake hazard and loss estimation system. He is a recipient of the Stanford Knight-Hennessy Graduate Fellowship, 2018 BPI-DOST Science Award, 2017 3rd MOCES PICE National Award, and DOST & RSFI Undergraduate Scholarships.
- Oct 5, 2023 - Our work "Near-real-time Country-wide Estimation of Susceptibility and Settlement Exposure from Norwegian Mass Movements via Inter-graph Representation Learning" has been accepted as an oral presentation at American Geophysical Union Meeting 2023 in San Francisco, California, on 13th of December 2023. Learn more about the presentation here.
- Oct 1, 2023 - I officially began my PhD studies with Dr. Emily So (Cambridge University Centre for Risk in the Built Environment) and Dr. Christian Geiß (German Aerospace Center) and got my third master's degree MRes.
- Jul 31, 2023 - I started an exciting remote summer research project at Bonn's Center for Remote Sensing of the Land Surface (ZFL) to collaborate with Dr. Emily So (Cambridge University Centre for Risk in the Built Environment) and Dr. Christian Geiß (German Aerospace Center) for a project about quantifying our global disaster risk. If you are also based in the Philippines seeing the possiblity of AI for DRR public policymaking, feel free to connect with me.
- Jun 30, 2023 - Our MRes team (myself, Andrea, and Sakthy) ended our three-month research project on "Near-real-time Country-wide Estimation of Susceptibility and Settlement Exposure from Norwegian Mass Movements via Inter-graph Representation Learning". You may access the data and code in our Zenodo and GitHub repositories.
- Jun 26, 2023 - I joined the UK Alliance for Disaster Research and the Disasters Research Group (DRG) to review and discuss current disaster research practice in the UK at Wellcome Trust, London.
- Jun 21, 2023 - I presented my research on artificial intelligence and disaster risk assessment at Risk Management Solutions in London.
- Mar 9, 2023 - I started working with Dr. Andrea Marinon (Engineering) and Dr. Sakthy Selvakumaran (Engineering) to characterize human-environment factors for climate change adaptation and mitigation in the Arctic by causal graph inference.
- Mar 1, 2023 - I co-authored "Seismic Impacts Report for M7.8 and M7.5 Turkey-Syria Earthquake Using Near Real-time Crowdsourcing and Remote Sensing Information".
- Jan 27, 2023 - Our team's work on "Classifying sea ice in high-resolution SAR imagery using deep learning" has been accepted to EGU General Assembly 2023.
- Jan 21, 2023 - EMI delivered 20 reports on updated climate and disaster risk assessment of Quezon City to the local government (read more).
- Dec 17, 2022 - I co-authored a Nature Communications paper "Seismic multi-hazard and impact estimation via causal inference from satellite imagery".
- Sep 26, 2022 - I started MRes+PhD in Application of Artificial Intelligence to the study of Environmental Risks at the University of Cambridge with a very generous full-funding studentship from UK Research & Innovation and Department of Earth Sciences. I will be part of Sidney Sussex College postgraduate community.
- Aug 31, 2022 - I completed Global Urban Resilience Fellowship at EMI (Philippines). I am very grateful for the valuable mentorship from Dr. Fouad Bendimerad and for our hardworking team - Jaja, Mam Lourdes, Doc Renan, Laarni, Hector, Jom!
- Aug 4, 2022 - I participated as part of the EMI expert observers for the Quezon City Public Service Continuity Plan Tabletop Exercise preparing for the "Big One" Mw-7.2 earthquake.
- Jun 12, 2022 - I graduated MS Civil & Environmental Engineering (Sustainable Design and Construction - Structures) and MA Public Policy at Stanford University.